Saturday, March 29, 2014

TURKEY TACO SALAD

When I buy lean ground turkey, I end up buying four packages of lean ground turkey from Costco and each package is frozen for future use.  If you are thinking why I am buying four packages at a time, it is because Costco does not sell individual one pound packages.  I try to use the ground turkey in different ways.  I decided to make turkey taco salad for supper one night.  I don't think I have ever made turkey taco salad before.  There are numerous ways to make a turkey taco salad.  I wanted to make a healthy version of a taco salad and use ingredients based on what was in the fridge.

I didn't have salsa in the fridge or cupboards but I had sour cream.  I also did not have nacho or taco chips.  I decided to add a cup of cooked brown rice to the turkey mixture in the frying pan as I thought it would add volume to the dish and I also wanted to use the leftover rice.  The meal was great.

Ground turkey and vegetables being sautéed.

Ready to serve.


INGREDIENTS;

2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 coloured pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground lean turkey
1/2 tsp chill powder (or more to taste)
1 tsp cumin powder
salt and pepper to taste

shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes
chopped cucumbers
chopped cilantro
sour cream or plain yogurt
salsa
shredded cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the olive oil on medium high heat in a non stick frying pan, add the onions, pepper and garlic.  Reduce the heat to medium and saute for five minutes.  Add the ground turkey and continue to sauté until the turkey is cooked (10 minutes or so).  Ensure to break up the pieces of turkey so that you don't have big chunks of meat.  Add the chill powder and cumin and salt and pepper.   Combine well and cook for another few minutes.

To create individual salads, use a large soup or salad bowl.  Layer the bowl with chopped lettuce. Amount is based on how big a salad you want to serve.  Add one half to one cup of turkey mixture to each bowl.  Top with cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa. shredded cheese and sour cream based on your preference.

The turkey mixture will serve 4 to 6 people depending on portion sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment