Wednesday, July 25, 2012

KELP NOODLES

I have seen kelp noodles in the grocery store, in the refrigerator section, but never bought any until today.  I stopped in at a locally owned grocery store to pick up a few things and decided to try a package.  The package was under $6.00.  These kelp noodles do not require cooking.  They are very low in carbs and calories and have zero grams of fat. They are also very low in sodium.   They are not noodles that would be added to hot dishes.  I think they are better suited for salads.

To use them, I opened up the package and placed them in a big bowl of water. I then drained what I wanted to use.  I used about 2/3 of the package and what was left was placed in a container with water and put in the fridge.

The noodles are long and stringy so I cut them using a knife into smaller pieces.  I decided to make a vegetable vietnamese salad.  I made individual salad bowls and using the noodles as the base in the bowl, I added chopped carrot, cucumber, red pepper, mushroom, and cilantro.  The dressing was similar to the dressing used in this soba noodle salad.  Instead of using lime juice in the dressing, I used rice vinegar.

Both the DH and I enjoyed the kelp noodles.  Their texture is crunchy and not soft like cooked pasta.


Packaging from the noodles

Kelp noodles draining.

No comments:

Post a Comment