Dr. Davis, a cardiologist, has found the following health benefits by eliminating wheat from your diet. He bases his theory on research clinical trials conducted by others and the diet he put thousands of his patients on.
- Weight loss in the first few months
- Alleviation of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes
- Recovery from intestinal challenges including ulcerative colitis and celiac disease
- Improvement in overall cholesterol and LDL counts
- Improvement in bone density and reversal of osteopenia
- Relief from skin conditions including psoriasis, oral ulcers and hair loss
- Reduction of inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis
There are a number of interesting observations that he makes in this book. One of them is about the differences between ancient varieties of wheat such as emmer and einkorn and the modern varieties we now consume. Dr. Davis has a wheat sensitivity and on separate days he consumed bread made with either the ancient variety or the modern variety. The ancient variety did not bother him, did not substantially increase his sugar levels nor did he have side effects. Eating bread made with a modern variety of wheat resulted in substantial increases in blood sugar and made him nauseous. The genetic breeding over the past 20th century has changed wheat. He calls wheat a super carbohydrate and eating whole wheat bread increases blood sugar to a higher level than sucrose. He also feels that wheat is addictive for some people and is an appetite stimulant.