Saturday, August 31, 2013

TAHINI CHICKPEA DRESSING


Based on the reviews of this tahini chickpea dressing, I thought it would great as a dressing for salads and vegetables.  What is interesting about it is that it includes chickpeas.  It reminds me of hummus but it also includes ginger and nutritional yeast which is not found in typical hummus recipes.

In making this recipe, I used 1/2 tsp of store bought minced ginger.  I have bought several items from this company including minced ginger and sushi ginger.  I like using minced ginger because of the convenience.  I also used ground flaxseed instead of chia seed.  Because chia seed becomes more gelatinous after it sits in liquid I think it would be a better ingredient to use in the dressing as it would help make the dressing more thicker than ground flaxseed.  One to two cloves of garlic can be added to the dressing.  I used one clove as the cloves were not small and I didn't want to make the dressing overly strong with garlic.  The dressing lasts for several days in the fridge.  I will definitely make this dressing again.   I really enjoyed the taste.



A great condiment to have in your fridge

The dressing is ready to be stored in the fridge.

The dressing is added to a vegetable salad.

Tahini-Chickpea Dressing

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 tbsp gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp chia seed or ground flaxseeds
1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger-root, minced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Place all ingredients into blender and process on high speed until thoroughly blended.  Refrigerate until well chilled. Dressing will continue to thicken while chilling.  Add extra water by the teaspoon if dressing is too thick.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
Adapted from http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment