Saturday, January 31, 2015

CARROT, SQUASH AND SWEET POTATO SOUP

I have been thinking of making a squash carrot soup for awhile and since I had a bag of frozen, uncooked, cubed winter squash in the freezer, it was not a difficult decision to make.  If using fresh squash, you can use a vegetable peeler, peel the skin and cut the squash up into pieces.  I do have an easier tactic as one of the grocery stores I frequent sells squash already peeled and cut up into small pieces.  If I am not going to use this squash, I end up freezing it.

The soup turned out fine.  I added more broth than what the recipe calls for so it is a bit thinner than what I would have liked.  I did add more ginger after the soup was pureed.

Ready to go into the fridge.


INGREDIENTS:

1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 coloured pepper, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled, chopped
3-4 cups uncooked winter squash, peeled, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
6-7 cups broth, vegetable or chicken
salt and pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS:

Into a large soup pot, add all of the ingredients.  Cover the pot with a lid and heat to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.   Cook for about an hour, until the vegetables are tender.  Using a hand immersion blender, puree the soup.  Serves 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment