Sunday, September 25, 2016

BLACK BEAN AND CHICK PEA SALAD

I was thinking about what to make for lunches this week.  I had my mind set on making pureed squash soup with carrots, apple and ginger.  But I came across a recipe that someone had posted on Instagram with a link to the blog site simple veganistic.  The recipe looked very interesting and it was made to resemble a balela salad sold at Trader Joe's.  I didn't have all of the ingredients listed on the blog including fresh mint or a spice called sumac.  I decided to improvise and added more vegetables, used less beans, used less olive oil and added cumin.  It is a wonderful salad and thanks to simple veganistic for figuring out the salad that Trader Joe's sells.  Maybe next week I will make squash soup.  I plan to add this bean salad to a bed of chopped lettuce to have for lunches this week.  This bean salad should keep for four or five days in the fridge but I think it will be consumed much quicker than that. 




INGREDIENTS:

1 can (540 ml) of chick peas
1 can (540 ml) of black beans 
2 mini cucumbers, diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 coloured pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
large handful of fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic. minced
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Mix the beans and vegetables in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate small bowl, mix the lemon juice, oil, garlic and cumin.  Add to the salad.  Season with salt and pepper.  Makes about 6 one cup servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment