|Carrots and celery added to the bottom of the casserole dish.|
|The kidney bean mixture is layered over the carrots and celery.|
|Mashed potatoes and shredded cheese provide the top layer.|
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
19 oz can kidney beans, drain and rinse
1 small can tomato paste
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp herbes de provence or add marjoram and dried basil or use fresh thyme and basil
1 cup water
2 cups diced celery
2 cups diced carrots
5 medium potatoes
½ cup milk
½ cup shredded cheese
Parmesan cheese to cover top
1. Peel, cut small & cook potatoes; drain & mash with the ½ cup milk and ¼ cup of the cheese.
2. Sauté in olive oil, the onion, garlic and walnuts for 5 minutes; add kidney beans, tomato paste, water, Worcestershire, soy sauce and herbs. Bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Microwave carrots and celery in small amount water until almost cooked, drain & put in bottom of a sprayed casserole dish. I used a large Corel casserole dish.
4. Top with the hot bean mixture.
5. Spread hot mashed potatoes over top; sprinkle with shredded cheese then Parmesan.
6. Bake @ 350°F until bubbly (about 30 minutes) Serves 6.