Sunday, August 27, 2017

CANNED SARDINES


Eating sardines is not a favourite food for a number of people that I know. I grew up eating sardines as my mother used to make them for lunches for our family. I still eat canned sardines using the same recipe as my mother. What I like about this recipe is the combination of lemon juice, mayonnaise and shredded apple.

Sardines are an excellent source of Vitamin D, omega 3, calcium, potassium, iron and protein. I always buy the sardines that are canned in spring water. Sardines are also not expensive in comparison to canned tuna or salmon. The recipe I follow is the same every time and in many ways this recipe is comfort food for me. I haven't varied the recipe over the years and like them mashed up with some diced onion and celery and grated apple. I will either eat the mashed sardines right out of the bowl or on crackers. If you like sardines, this recipe will work for you. I even got the DH to eat sardines with me.

I buy sardines canned in spring water

Sardines ready to eat from the bowl.

The other option is to have it on crackers or toast. 


INGREDIENTS:

one can of sardines, canned in spring water, drained
1 celery stalk, diced
1 green onion, diced or 1 tsp dried onion flakes
1 medium size apple, peeled, cored, shredded
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp mayonnaise 
pepper to taste

serve with crackers or toast or eat out of the bowl

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl, add the drained sardines and mash with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well. Add more lemon juice if you want the flavour to be more tart. Serves 1 to 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment