Saturday, August 25, 2018

STARTER AND SOURDOUGH BREAD

I have been buying wonderful sourdough bread from a local small company on a regular basis. I find that eating sourdough bread is easier on the GI system than regular bread. I have always liked making bread and it has been years since I have made my own starter. I would make a 24 hour sponge but that is not the same as using a sourdough starter. I had the opportunity to get some well established starter and I knew that this starter made great sourdough bread as I had sampled the bread. I traded garden basil and parsley for a generous cup of sourdough starter. 

In looking at several bread making cookbooks and the internet, I came across a website from cultured food life that I quite like. It has good explanations on starting, using and maintaining your starter and a recipe for an overnight sourdough bread. I got the starter yesterday and thought why wait, let's make bread. Last night I started the process for overnight sourdough bread. I baked it early this morning. I have provided the link here to the website as the explanations are wonderful. I followed the directions and also the recommendation to weigh your ingredients. I used unbleached flour. I plan to use some of the sourdough starter for pizza dough and other baking goodies. Some people give names to their starter as they feed and maintain their starter for years. I haven't thought of a name just yet. 

Here are some photos showing the process. The bread turned out airy, not dense and it has a good chew. I have tested it already as I had the heel for breakfast with almond butter and jam and a toasted slice at lunchtime with some melted Swiss cheese, garden tomato and garden cucumber. The DH has also done some taste testing.


Starter in a glass jar, mixing some of the starter with warm water and mixing the flour into the dough.

Dough has been mixed and rose overnight. It rests for 30-60 minutes in a flour coated dish towel before it is baked.

Dough is nestled in parchment paper that is placed in an Emile Henry pot and baked.  Ready for sampling after it cools for 25 to 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment