Sunday, December 16, 2018

LEMON POPPYSEED SOURDOUGH BRIOCHE BREAD



Several weeks ago I made a sourdough brioche bread. I got the recipe from a friend who also likes to make bread. Last week I had a craving for lemon poppyseed and thought about making a dessert style loaf. I thought about other options of which one was using the sourdough brioche bread recipe and adding lemon juice and zest and poppyseed to the basic recipe. This brioche bread recipe is what I would call a french style egg bread and you could create other kinds of bread based on the basic recipe. For example you could add chocolate chips/chocolate shavings, raisins, dried cranberries, shredded cheddar, chopped walnuts/pecans or herbs to the basic dough batter. What you need to think about is the quantity to add.

To make the sourdough brioche bread (basic recipe) into a lemon poppyseed bread, I added the following to the batter before the kneading started:

2 tbsp poppyseed
3 tbsp lemon juice
zest from one lemon

When I made the basic sourdough brioche bread I used three small baking loaf tins. This time round I used two large ones. I also let it rise for the second rise in the bread pans for over 2.5 hours. The bread turned out great and we both really liked the flavour.

The dough did a nice rise after one hour. 

Egg wash applied and now ready for the second rising.


Second egg wash applied and now going into the oven.

The results at the end.


I couldn't help myself. Butter from grass fed cows.




No comments:

Post a Comment