Saturday, April 20, 2019

SPINACH, MUSHROOMS AND EGGS


In planning a brunch for friends I decided that one dish would be some sort of baked vegetable egg dish. I had the other menu items lined up - various cheeses, smoked salmon, sourdough bread, pumpkin loaf, yogurt and fruit. I had decided that making eggs scrambled, poached, sunny side up or over easy was too difficult with a crowd. Making egg and vegetables in a muffin cup was an option and it could bake while company was coming through the front door. I combed through some of my favourite food sites and found a recipe for a spinach, mushroom and egg casserole. I read this Smitten Kitchen recipe over a number of times and thought about timing and what I could make ahead as company was coming mid morning. Life is much easier if you can prep some dishes ahead of time.

The essence of this recipe is that you sauté the vegetables ahead of time, mix all of the ingredients together, place it in an oiled 9 X13 over proof casserole dish and refrigerate it overnight. It took about an hour to get everything made and placed in the casserole dish. The eggs are added in the morning just before you are ready to bake it.  

I followed the ingredient list and directions in the Smitten Kitchen recipe and made a few small changes. I used coconut milk from the cartoon instead of heavy cream and sautéed a leak instead of an onion. This egg dish was a hit and everyone wants the recipe. My finished casserole didn't look as pretty as the one from Smitten Kitchen but I am sure it tasted just a good.

Vegetables sauté in a large pan.
Vegetables placed in the casserole dish and spread evenly across the surface.  

Made 12 wells to put each egg into. At this point I covered it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. 

Ready to go into the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment