Sunday, June 16, 2019

RAISIN SOURDOUGH BREAD

Sampling already started before the picture was snapped!
With having sourdough starter in the fridge being fed and expanding in volume every week, I look for making different breads, then trying to make them and seeing if the bread rises and tastes as good as they look in the photos. 

After doing some research I decided to make this cinnamon raisin sourdough bread. Lisa's blog 'Farmhouse on Boone' posted this recipe in December 2018.  

I didn't make too many changes to the posted recipe. Since I had a bag of flour that is bread flour, I used that instead of my standard unbleached white flour. You need to knead the bread for about 15 minutes and I used a Kitchen Aid mixmaster with the dough hook. I wouldn't have wanted to knead the dough by hand but it is doable. After kneading, the dough was very pliable and I divided it in half and placed it into two oiled ceramic bowls to rise overnight. I like to cover the bowls with plastic wrap and then cover with kitchen towels for an overnight rise on the kitchen counters. 

In the morning, after the overnight rise, you need to drain the raisins that have been soaking overnight and prep your counter for rolling out the dough. I did flour the counter beforehand and the dough was very pliable and easy to roll out with the rolling pin. I found it easier to use the cinnamon jar and just sprinkle the cinnamon directly on the rolled out dough instead of trying to sprinkle it from a measuring spoon. I also thought of using one cup of raisins and one cup of chopped walnuts instead of two cups of raisins but decided to use just raisins.  

The bread was ready to bake after rising three hours in the tin loaf pans. It is a wonderful recipe and thoroughly enjoyed by myself and the DH. The bread is not too sweet. What I would improve upon for next time is to roll up the dough tighter after you add the raisins and cinnamon. I can also envision using some different dried fruit, nuts or seeds to this recipe.

Rolled out dough with raisins added.

Cinnamon sprinkled on the dough.

Dough is rolled from the short end.

Starting the second rising.

Ready to go into the oven.
Cooling on the baking rack.









No comments:

Post a Comment