Sunday, February 16, 2020

PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP LAYER CAKE



I have always admired cake bakers and cake decorators. Their artistic creations and imagination to make pretty or stylized cakes can be a work of art.

I have never made a double or triple layered cake. I have shied away from it and kept to muffins, regular cakes, loaves, cookies and bread. I am a regular reader of the blog from Ambitious Kitchen and seeing this peanut butter banana chocolate chip three layer iced cake (Ambitious Kitchen) intrigued me. It was time to venture into trying something new.

Because I love kitchen gadgets, tools and baking bans, I invested in a few things as I didn't have some of the required cake making tools in my arsenal. For valentine's day, the DH bought me a cake decorating turntable and some decorating tools and I bought three - six inch cake pans (3 inch deep) along with some icing knives. I realize if I want to make some different cakes, I will need some eight inch cake pans.

There are numerous recipes for peanut butter banana layer cake. This recipe from Ambitious Kitchen interested me because I have already made many recipes from her blog site; the ingredients include almond and coconut flours; it doesn't have an excess amount of sugar; and, I understood her baking instructions. I did do some additional research on how to bake a layer cake, how to prep baking pans and decorating a cake. Baking and decorating cakes is a new world for me and I might try to make some novel cakes in the future.

The frosting requires powdered sugar. I made my own powdered sugar from coconut sugar. It is easy to do and involves blending in a high speed mixer the sugar required for frosting until it has a powdered texture. To make it more powdered, you can add one tablespoon of arrowroot or tapioca flour for every one cup of coconut sugar added to the blender. If you are not making it paleo, you can also use corn starch.

There are lots of ways you can decorate a cake with chocolate chips. I tried to be simplistic and not over do the number of chips pressed into the icing. I did measure the height of the cake with the icing and it is five inches. You can make the cake using two - eight inch cake pans and the height of the finished cake would be less.

I baked the cake batter the day before I was going to serve the cake. I lined the bottom of each cake pan with a round of parchment paper and used a cooking oil spray under and over the parchment paper and also sprayed the sides of the pans. I lightly floured the sides of the pans after applying the cooking spray. I let the cakes cool in the pans and they were very easy to remove from the pans. I continued to cool them on baking racks. Once the cakes were thoroughly cooled, I wrapped each one in plastic wrap and stored them in the fridge. The following afternoon I made the peanut butter icing.

Everyone who sampled the cake gave it a thumbs up.










1 comment:

  1. Well done Louise … looks like the work of a true professional!

    ReplyDelete