Thursday, December 10, 2009

MOROCCAN STEW

I like to try different recipes using beans.  I am a big fan of chick peas and will look for a variety of ways to use them in recipes.  Most of the recipes I make using chick peas are appetizers, salads, soups or some kind of stew.   Moroccan stew can be made in a variety of ways and if you goggle it, you will find a number of recipes.  Several years ago I found this recipe on a blog site posted by someone called Mandy.  This is one of her all time favorite recipes.  I made a few modifications in the measurements.  You can add more amount of spices than what I have listed in the recipe.  The original recipe called for 2 tsp of chili powder, I only used one.  I also used 2 heaping tbsp of peanut butter.  I was also generous in using lemon juice.  This is a great tasting stew for several reasons.  I think the peanut butter, sweet potato and spinach really adds to the taste.


MOROCCAN STEW


INGREDIENTS:

1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup diced celery
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ cups chicken broth
3 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
19 oz can of chick peas, drained
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp dried ginger
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 large bag of fresh spinach

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large pot, add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic.  Sauté for five minutes.  Add all of the remaining ingredients except the peanut butter and spinach.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer covered for about an hour.  Stir occasionally.   Add the peanut blend and blend in.   Remove about two cups of stew and place in a blender or food processor.  Add the puree back to the stew.   Add the bag of spinach to the pot and let simmer for about 10 minutes.  According to the recipe, a cup of stew is about 2 weight watchers points.  The recipe makes a big pot of stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment