Tuesday, August 30, 2011

MIXED BERRY JAM

With the abundance of berries including cherries from the backyard trees, I thought I would make mixed berry jam.  We have bought mixed berry jam at Costco but I thought I could make great jam.  It is easy to make mixed berry jam.  When I make jams, jellies, relishes or pickles and need to use warm sterilized jars, I sterilize the jars in the oven at 200 degrees F for at least 10 minutes.  I also gently boil the lids in a small pot of water to sterilize them.

Cooking the berry jam.

Jars cooling on the counter. 

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups crushed strawberries
2 cups crushed raspberries or cherries
2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup water
4 cups sugar
1 box Certo light or regular pectin crystals

DIRECTIONS:

Combine pectin with 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.  In a large pot add the berries and water.  Stir the pectin mixture into the fruit.  Cook over high heat until the mixture comes to a full boil.  Stir in the remaining sugar.  Continue to cook and stir over high heat until the mixture comes to a full rolling boil.  Boil hard for one minute stirring constantly.  Remove from heat. 

Stir and skim the foam for five minutes.  Pour into warm sterilized jars filling up to 1/4 inch from the rim.  Seal while hot with warm sterilized lids.  Makes about six to seven - 250 mls jars.  Adapted from www.kraftcanada.com

No comments:

Post a Comment