Friday, November 2, 2012

OVERNIGHT OATMEAL

There are days when you are pressed for time in the morning getting ready for work and doing a multitude of other tasks and also having the time to make and eat breakfast.  I found a great way to make oatmeal for breakfast the night before and either take the oatmeal to work or eat it at home before leaving for work.  A friend of mine provided me with a link to an internet site that provides recipes for both overnight oatmeal and overnight smoothies.  I haven't made the smoothies but I have been making the overnight oatmeal.

The overnight oatmeal doesn't require cooking.  It is similar to making a swiss muesli where the oatmeal is soaked in milk, yogurt and fruit overnight.  You need to use rolled oats and not steel cut oats.  Overnight the oatmeal softens and the flavours get blended.  There are many variations you can make depending on the fruit and flavourings you add.  The basic recipe requires a 2 cup container or glass jar that has a lid.  This is a recipe for one serving.  I use 1/3 cup of oatmeal but the original recipe calls for 1/4 cup oatmeal.

BASIC INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup milk, soy or almond milk
1/4 cup yogurt, plain or flavoured
1 1/2 tsp chia seeds


FLAVOURINGS:

1/2 cup fruit - berries, chopped apple, banana
1 tsp coconut flakes
1 tsp jam
1 tsp peanut butter
1 tsp chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla flavouring
1 tsp maple syrup

Add the basic ingredients to the container or glass jar.  You then need to decide what kind of flavour do you want.  For breakfast this morning I had raspberry flavoured oatmeal.  When I made the oatmeal the night before I added 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp raspberry jam.  You can use either fresh or frozen berries.  I have also made apple flavoured oatmeal.  I added 1/2 chopped apple and cinnamon. I have also added peanut butter to the apple mixture.  Another time I made blueberry flavoured oatmeal.  

After you add the desired flavourings, mix all of the ingredients together, cover the contained and place in the fridge overnight.  It is ready to eat the next morning.

Here is the internet link for overnight oatmeal that I got from my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment