|Chopping the vegetables in a food chopper.|
|Mixing the vegetables and the raisins.|
|Ready to go into the oven. You can see how the parchment paper goes over the sides of the loaf pan.|
|Cooked and being to be sliced.|
Lentil Nut Burger
1 cup uncooked green lentils
3 cups of water
1 cup mixed nuts, toasted, finely chopped
3 tbsp finely ground flaxseed
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
1/3 cup raisins
½ cup flour
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
Balsamic apple glaze:
¼ cup ketchup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce or apple butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
1. In a medium size pot, cook the lentils in the three cups of water. Once the lentils start to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Drain excess water and using a food processor, process the lentils for less than 30 seconds until it is a smooth paste. Don’t puree all of the lentils and leave about half a cup of lentils intact as they add texture.
2. Line a loaf pan, 9 X 5 inches with parchment paper. The parchment paper needs to come up the sides of the loaf pan and be a bit taller than the loaf pan so that you can lift the loaf out of the pan by the parchment paper.
3. In a large wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the celery, onion, apple and raisins. Saute for five more minutes.
The nuts and vegetables should be finely chopped so that the loaf holds together.
4. Carefully stir in the processed lentils, flaxseed, nuts, flour, bread crumbs, thyme and oregano. Stir until well combined.
5. Press the lentil mixture firmly and evenly into the loaf pan. You can use the back of a fork or a wooden spoon to press the mixture down firmly in the pan.
6. In small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the balsamic glaze. Spread the glaze over the loaf using a spoon or a pastry brush.
7. Bake uncovered in the oven at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Gently lift the loaf out of the pan using the parchment paper and place onto a cooling rack. Cool for thirty minutes before slicing. Makes 8 servings.
To make it gluten free use oat flour and gluten free bread crumbs.
I used unsalted mixed nuts that were already toasted. You can use just walnuts, almonds or other nuts.
Modified from The Oh She Glows Cookbook.