Saturday, April 4, 2015

SOUR CREAM CHERRY PIE

Sour Cream Cherry Pie
I recently was reading a magazine that profiled a pastry and bake shop in Edmonton Alberta called the Duchess Bake Shop.  A number of recipes were profiled and one caught my eye, sour cream cherry pie.  I have posted recipes in the past using sour cherries and regular cherries  but I have never added sour cream to pie cherry batter.  There was not any hesitation from the DH when I asked if he wanted a cherry pie with the added ingredient of sour cream.   

I used the same ingredients that I have used for making cherry or other fruit pies and added 1/2 cup of sour cream to the cherry batter.  Since I didn't have any frozen sour cherries I used regular frozen pitted cherries.  After pouring the cherry batter into the pie shell there was some batter left in the bowl which I had to sample.  It was decadent.

Cherries mixed with flour, sugar, almond extract and sour cream.
Lattice style of crust for the topping.

INGREDIENTS:

Pie dough for a double crust pie.  I like this recipe for pie crust and have posted it in previous postings.  It makes a double crust. 

Cherry batter:

4 cups fresh or frozen cherries, regular or sour
1 cup sugar if using sour cherries OR 1/4 cup sugar if using regular cherries
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS:

Mix the cherry batter together in a large mixing bowl.  Roll out half the pie dough and shape it to fit a deep pie plate.  Fill the pie plate with the cherry batter.  For the top crust, create a lattice instead of the standard full crust.  If you have never created a lattice before, it is strips of rolled out pie dough placed on top of each other to create a lattice.  You can get creative with a lattice if you are gifted manipulating pie dough.

Place the pie into a preheated oven at 425 degrees F.  Bake for 10 minutes at this temperature and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the batter is bubbling.  Using a convention oven I baked the pie for 30 minutes at 350 F.   Let cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment