1 large onion chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1/2 cauliflower chopped
1 large sweet potato chopped
3 large carrots chopped
2 parsnips chopped
7 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup skim milk or soy milk
2 tbsp fresh dill or 1 tsp dried
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large soup pot and saute the onions, celery, sweet pepper and garlic on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, sweet potato, carrots and parsnips to the pot. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- You need to puree the soup, either the whole pot or half to two thirds. You can puree using a blender, a puree hand wand or a potato masher. When chopping the vegetables before adding them to the pot at the start of the recipe, I decided to finely chop the carrots, cauliflower, sweet potato and parsnips in the blender. It took several sessions as this is a lot of vegetables. I did not chop the celery, onions and sweet pepper using a blender but did it using a knife and cutting board.
- Add the milk, dill and thyme and salt and pepper to taste. This recipe makes about 8 servings.