Monday, July 26, 2010

BANANA BREAD

I find making banana bread one of the easier recipes to make.  It helps when you have frozen bananas in the freezer as you can make it when it is convenient for you versus when the bananas are really ripe and something needs to be done with them.  I usually don't have the problem of buying bananas and no one is eating them and they are getting too ripe to eat.  I buy bananas for the dog.  The dog has a 'B' every morning and will patiently wait for it to be hand fed to him in small pieces.  He doesn't grab the piece of banana out of your hand but gingerly takes it from your fingers.  He has us well trained.

I have been making this particular banana bread recipe for years and I don't know where I found it.  You can reduce the sugar content by substituting splenda and reduce the fat by using applesauce instead of oil or margarine.  

BANANA BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 ¾ cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup dates, raisins or nuts
1/3 cup margarine or butter
½ cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 to 3 ripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup milk (or less)

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl or food processor, mix dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, cream the margarine with the sugar, then add the eggs, and milk and mix well.  Add the egg mixture to the flour and combine by hand or using the processor.   Add the bananas.  Mix until the bananas are blended into the batter.   Pour the batter into a large loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 to 60 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE bana bread...well I make them into muffins and add peanut butter chips!! Please check out my blog! I'm new and I don't really know how to get my name out there!

    Thanks!
    Sunshine
    http://saskatoonconfidential.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunshine, Thanks for giving me your blog address. To widen your circle of readers will take time. Tell your friends about your blog and they will tell their friends. Also since your blog is about Saskatoon, you can write letters to the Star Phoenix and provide your blog address in the letter. Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete