Wednesday, July 7, 2010

CITRUS QUINOA SALAD

I found this quinoa salad recipe in one of Anne Lindsay's cookbooks - Lighthearted at Home. I made a few changes to the original recipe. The recipe calls for orange slices or mandarin sections which I didn't have, nor did I have lemon or lime rind. I used a combination of dried figs and apricots in making this recipe as I didn't have enough dried figs to make half a cup. I used toasted pine nuts instead of sunflower seeds or almonds. The salad turned out well and I will definitely make it again.

 INGREDIENTS:

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup diced cucumber
2 green onions diced
½ cup diced dried figs or dried apricots or raisins
½ cup mandarin orange sections or regular orange slices cut into pieces
¼ cup sunflower seeds, toasted almonds or toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

DRESSING:

1 tsp grated lemon or lime rind
3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp each cumin and ground coriander

DIRECTIONS:

Rinse quinoa under cold water; drain. In a saucepan, add the water and quinoa, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Drain and let cool. 

In a bowl, combine the quinoa, cucumber, dried fruit, orange sections, onions, nuts, and parsley. In a small bowl mix up the dressing, pour over the salad and toss to mix.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment