Saturday, August 28, 2010

BEET BORSCHT

I have been planting beets in the garden for a number of years.  I plant red beets and use the beets to make borscht, relish and also eat them cooked as a side vegetable.  I also like to saute beet greens and eat them with some butter and a dash of vinegar.  I have thought of planting golden beets as I do buy them in the store.  Golden beets of course don't bleed red so they are easier to handle.

Last September, I posted a recipe making borscht without beets (link to post).  My September posting gave background on different borschts that you can make.  The recipe I am profiling today is borscht made with beets.  I also used the stalks and leaves from the beets in the soup and green beans from the garden.  To serve the soup,  I ladle the soup into a bowl and add about 2 tbsp of greek style plain yogurt or sour cream to the bowl.

INGREDIENTS:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
2 stalks of celery, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
2 small potatoes, chopped
1 large handful of green beans, chopped 
1 cup sauerkraut
5 medium sized beets, peeled and chopped
beet leaves and stalks, chopped
5 tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
10 cups water
3 tsp low salt chicken bouillon
pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a large stock pot, on medium heat, saute the onions and minced garlic in the olive oil. After a few minutes add the celery and continue to saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and beans.  Saute for a few minutes and if the vegetables are sticking, add a bit of water.  Add the water, chicken bouillon, tomatoes, beet leaves and sauerkraut.  Turn the heat to high and once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to simmer.  If the soup is too thick, add a bit more water.  Cook for about 90 minutes and towards the end, add the chopped dill.  If it needs a bit more zing, add more sauerkraut.

No comments:

Post a Comment