Sunday, August 15, 2010

ZUCCHINI BREAD/LOAF

I have been making this zucchini bread recipe for many years.  I am not sure where I got it.  It is transcribed onto a recipe card and I keep it in a recipe box along with other treasured recipes that I have collected over the years. There are a number of variations you can do with this recipe. You can use only whole wheat flour for the 3 cups of flour required, use only white flour or do half and half as indicated in the recipe.  I used all whole wheat flour when I made it this time. The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of milk and I have altered this and included plain or vanilla flavoured yogurt as part of the 1 1/4 cup requirements.  I will also add more shredded zucchini than what the recipe calls for depending on the size of the zucchini I am shredding.  You can add chopped nuts or cranberries along with the raisins.  I sometimes find if the batter seems too stiff once all of the ingredients have been added, I will add a bit of milk.

Shredded zucchini added to the batter.

A cup of raisins added to the batter.

I poured the batter into a 9" by 12" baking pan. 
Close-up look at a wedge of the zucchini bread.


WHOLE WHEAT ZUCCHINI BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 ¼ cups milk
¼ cup oil
1 ¼ cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  In a separate small bowl, beat the egg and then add the milk and oil.  Mix well.  Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture.  Mix the batter and then add the zucchini and raisins.  Mix well and pour into a large loaf pan or a medium sized square pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for about 60 to 70 minutes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment