Sunday, September 26, 2010

COD WITH TOMATOES, ARTICHOKES AND MUSHROOMS

I try to eat fish at least once or twice a week for supper.  My usual choice is salmon or steelhead trout but I also try to get some variety.  I made the following recipe from one of my Anne Lindsay cookbooks.  I did a little tweaking and the tweaks are embedded in the recipe I have provided.  You can use a variety of fish instead of cod including halibut, sole, salmon or shrimp.   This dish can be served with rice or pasta.  I didn't make any rice or pasta with this dish as I also had fresh corn on the cob which I wanted to eat instead as the main carbohydrate for the meal.
Fish cooking in the skillet and close to being done. 
Ready to eat!
COD POACHED WITH TOMATOES, ARTICHOKES AND MUSHROOMS

INGREDIENTS:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups thickly sliced mushrooms,
3 tomatoes, cut into chunks
½ tsp dried basil or ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
pinch dried thyme
1 pound of cod fillets
1 can (14 ounce) artichoke hearts, drained and halved
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of sugar, optional

DIRECTIONS:

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms.   Stir often and cook until the mushrooms are tender.  Add the tomatoes and dried basil (if using) and thyme.  Bring to a simmer.  Add the fish and artichokes and simmer with the cover on for about 4 minutes,  Uncover and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.  Towards the end of the cooking time, add the fresh basil, if using, and the salt and pepper.  Serves about 4 people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment