Tuesday, March 8, 2011

POT ROAST

I decided to make a pot roast using a sirloin tip roast that I bought for a Sunday night supper.  I also wanted to make a pot roast so that I could use my Staub dutch oven   Last year I posted a column on Dutch Ovens comparing different dutch ovens.  One of the procedures in making a pot roast is cooking it at a lower oven temperature.  

I made a paste using balsamic vinegar, garlic and Dijon mustard to cover the roast before it went into the oven.  The roast turned out very well and it was a delicious supper.
The staub dutch oven that I will use for cooking the pot roast.

The sirloin tip roast.

The paste of garlic, Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar

The roast is ready to eat.
INGREDIENTS:
2 to 3 pound beef roast such as a sirloin tip
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
ground pepper, according to taste
1/2 cup water

DIRECTIONS:
Place the roast in the dutch oven.  Mix the paste of garlic, Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.  Using a spreading knife or spatula, spread the paste over the roast.  Sprinkle pepper over the roast.  Add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the dutch oven.  Bake covered for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 325 degrees F.   Let the roast sit on top of the stove for a few minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment